Human Development Index also known as HDI for short is the ranking of regions by 3 major factors which are: life expectancy, education, and per capita income. The higher the life expectancy, education, and per capita income of a region are, the higher the ranking.
Below is the ranking of each state of the United States of America by Human Development Index as rated by the United Nation. Massachusetts is the most developed state in the U.S. while Mississippi is the least developed state by HDI.
Here are some stats for the District of Columbia and other territories.
- District of Columbia has an HDI of 0.946 which would place it 7 on the list
- Guam has an HDI of 0.901 which would place it at 42 on the list
- U.S. Virgin Islands has an HDI of 0.892 which would place it 46 on the list
- Northern Mariana Islands has an HDI of 0.875 which would place it 50 on the list
- Puerto Rico has an HDI of 0.845 which would place it 52 on the table
- American Samoa has an HDI of 0.827 which would place it 53 on the table
The U.S. average is 0.926 which places it 28 on the table.